Things To Do

Things To Do -> History and Heritage -> Cultural Heritage Sites

The Randolph County Historic Landmark Preservation Commission was created in 2008 to recognize buildings, places, sites and objects deemed important to the understanding of local history. To date, 20 landmarks and 22 cultural heritage sites and objecs have been desinated. In addition, 21 sites have been recorded on the National Register of Historic Places by the National Park Service, and four of those are also local landmarks.

Visitors must be aware that, whether designated by national, state, Randolph County or municipal governments, landmarks and cultural history sites are often privately owned and are not normally open to the public.

For additional information regarding accessibility and for a complete list of Cultural Heritage Sites, Historic Landmarks and Research options, please contact the Heart of North Carolina Visitors Bureau by phone at 800-626-2672 or 336-626-0364, or online at http://www.randolphcountync.gov/Visit-Randolph/Historic-Landmarks

  • Liberty Train Depot
    Liberty Train DepotLiberty

    The Liberty Train Depot, built some time before 1905, is an excellent example of a turn-of-the century train station and the most elaborate example in Randolph County. Construction of the Cape Fear and Yadkin Valley Railway line gave Randolph County its first railroad, founded the town of Staley as a shipping terminal for the Deep River textile factories, and revived the small crossroads town of Liberty.

    Public accessibility: Exterior views only

  • Patterson Cottage Museum
    Patterson Cottage MuseumLiberty

    This little cottage was built by Dr. Armstead Patterson as a home for his aging parents about 1885. In 1895, when the business district of Liberty burned across the street from the Patterson home, the little cottage survived the fire. Today, it has been restored as a museum, and it remains the Town of Liberty's oldest surviving residential structure.

    Public accessibility: Tours by appt only

  • Randolph High School
    Randolph High SchoolLiberty

    Randolph High School, for most of its existence, was the only consolidated county high school for black students in Randolph County. Built in 1951 at a cost of $135,000 the school had 14 classrooms, a library, home economics and science rooms, plus a combination gymtorium and cafeteria. Black students were bused to Liberty from as far away as Seagrove, some riding two hours to get to school. Randolph High School came to an end in 1965 when Title V1 barred the use of federal funds for segregated education and schools.

    Public accessibility: Exterior views only