1921 John Wesley‘s StandThings To Do -> History and Heritage -> Historic Landmarks (Sophia)
John Wesley‘s Stand is Randolph County‘s last remaining example of a once familiar sight: the open-air tabernacle or brush arbor. Started in 1903 by the Rev. J.F. Burkhead of Asheboro, worship was first held under a brush arbor after which a small frame church building was erected in 1906. The tabernacle was built in 1921. The quartz rock pillars of the tabernacle are an echo of the popular Bungalow style of that time.
Public accessibility: Self-guided walking tours
Disclaimer: Randolph County and its municipalities have designated a variety of historic landmarks. Just as with state and national historic landmarks, visitors should be aware that some are private and not open to the public. Please contact the Visitors Bureau for additional information regarding accessibility before traveling long distances.