Downtown Asheboro will be open for business all evening during this event being coordinated by the Asheboro/Randolph Chamber and the City of Asheboro. Visitors are encouraged to walk the sidewalks to see the downtown business Christmas displays, costumed characters, and decorated floats and vehicles. You can also enjoy a meal, a beverage, or get some of your holiday shopping done. A drive through parade route will add to the festivities for those who would rather stay in their vehicles.
Visitors walking downtown will be assisted by Asheboro Police Department officers to safely cross Sunset Avenue at the intersections of Church St and at the railroad tracks during the parade. Many businesses will be offering discounts during Christmas Downtown, with current information available on the Chamber website at https://www.chamber.asheboro.com/christmas-downtown.
In addition to enjoying all that our downtown has to offer, the drive through parade is designed to provide an alternative activity for those who would rather stay in their vehicles. This format also allows people with mobility issues and families with small children that cannot tolerate colder temperatures to enjoy the festivities.
- As shown on the map, the route will start on Church Street (at the intersection of Academy) in Asheboro and travel north to Sunset Avenue. The route will then travel east on Sunset Avenue to Bicentennial Park and through the park to Academy Street. Multiple trips through the route will be allowed as time and traffic permits. North Street will be open. Bicentennial Park will be closed. All affected streets will be closed at 5 p.m. and will reopen as quickly as possible after the parade ends at 9 p.m.
- Drive through participants are encouraged to decorate their vehicles, with an award for the best lighted vehicle to promote Light Up Asheboro.
- There will be a rope line behind the floats on Sunset Avenue only to remind people to stay on the sidewalk during the parade. All sidewalks will be OPEN throughout the evening as noted on the map.
- Santa, Mrs. Claus and their elves will be at Santa’s sleigh at the end of the parade route waving to children and the young at heart as they drive by. Children are encouraged to write a letter for Santa and the elves can deliver to Santa Claus.
- Be sure to tune in to WKXR/WZOO in your car as they will be playing Christmas music recorded by local school groups in addition to other local talent.
- Normal traffic safety rules apply. Only spectators riding in vehicles will be permitted along the streets of the parade route.
- Once you complete the parade route, we encourage you to park downtown and walk around to see the sites from a different perspective!